Sunday, July 16, 2017

Vegetarian/Vegan Mexican bake with Quinoa.

My Son was recently at a youth program. I made a dish to help with the feeding of all the pre-teen monsters. The recipe was apparently a hit, and after testing the leftovers when he got home, I have now made it again, and again! it was adapted from this recipe. I didn't add as much spice as the original called for and as usual played around with the measurements a bit. :) here is my version.

  • 2 1/4C veggie broth
  • 1C uncooked Quinoa
  • 15 oz can black beans
  • 1 1/2 C frozen corn kernels
  • 16 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1/2C chopped red peper
  • 1/2C chopped green pepper
  • 1/2 med onion
  • 2 cloves Garlic
  • 1T chili powder
  • 1/2t salt
  • 1t ground black pepper
  • 1t ground Cumin
  • 1t oregano
  • 1C shredded cheese (optional)
So, I like easy..
throw everything into a crock pot minus the cheese.
turn on high for 2.5 to 3 hours. If you want to set it longer set it on low. I have cooked this for up to 6 hours, and then reheated it the next day and it is just as good!! 

I like to leave the cheese to the side so those who want can add it.

Love cooking once and eating twice.. ( or 3 or 4 times) 
'I will add a photo if I remember to take one next time. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment